The Informal Protest Process2024-05-16T09:33:57-05:00


During the informal process, property owners who have protested their market value have the opportunity to receive a settlement offer from the appraisal district. When a property owner files their protest, they can submit evidence to the appraisal district that shows why they believe their market value should be lowered. Property owners who file their protests online can upload their evidence, review the appraisal district’s evidence, and review a settlement offer through their online accounts.

Property owners may submit their protest and evidence through our online portal, by mail (PO Box 149012, Austin, TX 78714), or by hand delivery to our office (850 East Anderson Lane).

Property owners who file protests will also have the opportunity to discuss their evidence with a TCAD appraiser. Informal meetings will be offered starting April 16, 2024 via phone or video conference. There will only be one informal meeting per property. Property owners should ensure their protest has been filed and evidence recorded before getting in line for a discussion with a TCAD appraiser.

Property owners may schedule informal meetings for a specific date and time using their online portal. Property owners must check in for their meeting on the portal at their scheduled time. The portal may also be used to cancel or reschedule meetings if needed. Property owners who do not have a portal account or who do not wish to schedule their meetings for a specific date and time can get in line for the day’s queue. Our system will update property owners on wait times and login instructions via email and text message updates.

Property owners who discuss their evidence with a TCAD appraiser should expect to receive a settlement offer within 10 business days. Property owners will be given several options on how to respond to their settlement offer, including by email, our online portal, by mail, or by phone. 

If a property owner does not accept a settlement offer from the appraisal district during the informal process, they will be given the opportunity to be heard by the Travis Appraisal Review Board (ARB).

Schedule a date and time for your informal meeting. A portal login is required.

Ready to have your informal meeting today? Get in line for today’s queue. No portal login required.


Visit our forms library to download related documents.


Contact us or check out the videos below to learn more about navigating the protest process through our online portal.


What happens if I do not appear for my formal hearing?2023-10-05T08:45:52-05:00

Your protest will be dismissed if you do not appear in person, through a valid affidavit, by agent, or by pre-scheduled telephone hearing. You may request that the ARB Chairperson reopen the hearing by sending a letter within 4 days of your scheduled hearing citing the good cause reason for failure to appear.

Where are ARB hearings conducted?2020-11-30T19:01:42-06:00

In-person hearings are conducted at the Travis Central Appraisal District office located at 850 E Anderson Lane. The hearing letter you receive will have specific instructions regarding the location of your hearing.

When will I get my notice about a formal hearing?2020-11-30T19:04:52-06:00

The Appraisal Review Board (ARB) sets protest hearing schedules. You will receive a notice of protest hearing letter by general mail at least 15 days before the scheduled formal hearing date. Included with that letter will be a copy of Property Taxpayer’s Remedies (a publication of the State Comptroller’s Office), a copy of the ARB hearing procedures, and a statement that you have the right to inspect the information that the Appraisal District plans to introduce at your hearing.

What should I bring to my formal hearing?2020-11-30T19:06:55-06:00

Please bring your hearing letter to expedite the check in process. You should also bring any information that you want to present to support the value you think is correct. Bring 5 sets of the evidence to the formal hearing.

Can’t find the answer you’re looking for?

Check out our Frequently Asked Question library or contact us for more information.

Go to Top