If you have hired a license property tax consultant, they will obtain written authorization from you giving them permission to represent you in a hearing. If your representative is an attorney, they will be allowed to swear, under oath, that they are your authorized representative. If your representative is a family member or friend, you must provide written authorization, signed by you, naming the person to represent you. This can be done by completing the Comptroller’s Authorization of Agent form or showing another piece of appropriate documentation, such as a power of attorney. The person you select should be able to discuss the property from personal knowledge and should file the documentation as soon as possible. At the very least, the person must bring the appropriate documentation to the ARB hearing.

You may bring someone with you to the hearing that can speak during the hearing. However, in this circumstance, you must be present to identify on the record that the person is speaking on your behalf.