DATE May 2023
JOB TITLE Commercial Specialist
REPORTS TO Commercial Director
PAY GRADE 10
STARTING SALARY $ 71,129.82 annually
Under the general direction and supervision of the Commercial Director this position performs the functions and activities associated with the appraisal of assigned commercial properties to include office and field work, in addition to being responsible for high level appraisal research. The Commercial Specialist will typically work Monday through Friday 7:45 am to 4:45 pm with extended hours as needed.
• Complete property inspections, measure improvements, collect data, analyze and apply appropriate valuation techniques to commercial real estate properties in Travis County.
• Document appraisal in written form, including the appraiser’s opinion of the property’s market value, using relevant market derived data and income information with supporting detail and analysis.
• Maintain current knowledge of real estate values and property developments to ensure that valuations conform to USPAP requirements while concurrently accounting for current market prices and trends.
• Directly interface with attorneys, litigation appraisers, and expert witnesses in order to provide data and analyses necessary for lawsuit and arbitration resolution.
• Represent the District in informal and formal protest hearings.
• Assist the Commercial Director with creating and maintaining an electronic income and expense database for use in valuation models for all commercial property portfolios.
• Responsible for property specific “data research” using all available methods and techniques of data mining, including SEC filings and other third-party resources.
• All duties are performed independently and require self-motivation and a professional attitude in the work environment. The specialist must be able to do business with the public in sometimes difficult and adversary situations.
• Must be a Registered Professional Appraiser (RPA) or be able to pursue and obtain within 5 years.
• Must be authorized to work in the US, have reliable transportation, a valid Texas Driver’s License, and proof of liability insurance.
• Continuing education — Stay current on appraisal, assessment and technology issues and apply new knowledge in the work environment.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree preferred, preferable in Real Estate, Appraisal, Statistics, or other related discipline.
• A minimum of three (3) years of experience in real estate fee or mass appraising. Experience in sales, leasing, property management, building or development a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Extensive knowledge on the application of the income approach with commercial properties
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office, proficient in Word, Outlook, and Excel
• Ability to analyze and interpret closing statements, surveys, or other documents.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to assess information, ask questions, make decisions, manage time effectively, and execute assignments.
Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods, walk on all types of terrain, climbing, driving a vehicle, bending, kneeling, reaching and twisting the upper body. Must use hands for data entry much of the workday. Must be able to hear and speak both in person and by phone. Must be able to see and read fine print and lift 40 pounds. This position is subject to stress caused by a changing public environment, organizational diversity, heavy workload, and mandatory deadlines. Moderate stress levels are consistent with occasional significant stress.
An indoor and outdoor setting in all types of weather conditions. Frequent exposure to computer monitors and interfacing with the public. Job is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the position. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, TCAD reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the positions, or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, staff shortages, workload changes, or technological developments).
Employment is contingent upon a post-offer criminal background check.
The Travis Central Appraisal District is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. The Travis Central Appraisal District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, military service, AIDS or HIV status, ancestry, national or ethnic origin and any other characteristic protected bylaw.
Resumes are welcome, but applicant must submit a completed employment application before an interview will be granted.